Monday, June 1, 2020

Parliamentary Standards Commissioner receives complaint against Keir Starmer

Sir Keir Starmer subject of conduct complaint lodged with the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner

View Legal Notices

On June 1st 2020, the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner acknowledged receipt of a complaint made against Sir Keir Starmer, Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras and Leader of the Labour Party.

Action that would damage the reputation of the House of Commons and its members

Below is a verbatim copy of the complaint received by the Commissioner and Mr. Ben Nunn, Director of Communications for Mr. Starmer:

From: <EMAIL ADDRESS>
To: "standardscommissioner@parliament.uk"
Cc: <EMAIL ADDRESS>
Sent: Monday, June 1, 2020, 09:38:48 AM GMT+1
Subject: Submission of complaint dated 01/06/2020


Dear Commissioner,

I wish to submit for your consideration a complaint about the conduct of Mr. Starmer, Member of Parliament for Holborn and St Pancras, and Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition.

On April 6th 2020, I contacted Mr. Starmer's office, and the office of his colleague Nick Thomas Symonds, seeking a very simple assurance from the two gentlemen. Below is a verbatim copy of my correspondence:

Dear Gentlemen,

Congratulations on your promotions this weekend.

Please can you give me your personal assurances that your new working relationship will not have any bearing on my efforts to hold Nick accountable for his failure to disclose a substantial conflict of interest in connection with political corruption in Torfaen about which I sought his assistance a few months ago?

Yours faithfully,

Nathan Young

As Mr. Starmer did not provide any assurance to that effect, I felt I had no alternative other than to waive my right to privacy and publish details of the political corruption referenced and seek advocacy from the wider community at

https://corruptionvalley.blogspot.com/2020/04/corruption-valley-part-one.html

a copy of which is enclosed as Appendix 1.

Later, on May 19th, I contacted Mr. Starmer's Director of Communications Ben Nunn for a response to the publication. Mr. Nunn has a fine reputation personally and professionally, and I have no reason to think he would not inform Mr. Starmer of my contact and the substance of the allegations.

Mr. Starmer's inability to provide an assurance that he would not act unlawfully and, by the seriousness of its ommission, his making me feel compelled to publish such very sensitive matters, would by any reasonable standard cause significant damage to the reputation and integrity of the House of Commons as a whole, and of its members more generally.

Please receive this complaint in the good faith with which it is sent.

Yours sincerely,

Signed Nathan Young
(Signature attached)
<HOME ADDRESS>

Awaiting Mr. Starmer's response

As soon as I have a response from either Mr. Starmer or Mr. Nunn, I will update this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment